Saturday, September 19, 2009

"fashion passes....style remains" - Coco Chanel

Ack!! Audrey Tautou as Coco Chanel! Does it get any better?!
As excited as I was to hear of the upcoming release, a little further reading revealed that this film is not without controversy. Many people are quite offended that so much time and effort has gone into telling the story of a "traitor". Apparently she was quite involved with (i.e. sleeping with) a high-up Nazi during WWII. The War takes place approximately 15 years later than where the film leaves us, but critics are saying that any film, any attention brought to Coco Chanel is wrong.
Coco Avant Chanel is about her rise from an orphanage -- from being a "nobody" -- right to the brink of Chanel as we know it today.
I will probably see the movie because I love period films; women "making it" from humble beginnings; Audrey Tautou; and all things French. Do I celebrate her choices in life? Not at all. I find her choice to sleep with a Nazi despicable.

Am I a hypocrite for buying a ticket to this movie?

Watch the trailer here.

3 comments:

  1. I saw the film and really liked it.

    I have to say that I knew nothing about Chanel's life when I went to see the film and actually it covers only her life up until her success.....it was only when I read up about her afterwards that I read about her affair with a Nazi officer in Paris - for which the French never forgave her.

    I would recommend seeing it though - great acting and visually a beautiful film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Jewish roots and I'll still be seeing it! She's a fascinating character, mistakes and all...
    XX Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is definitely fascinating...it just shows that we are all flawed humans making our way thru life...sometimes we make mistakes..I will see the movie, can't wait! I love Audrey!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...