Tuesday, June 30, 2009

you're a peach!


July in Virginia is the start of peach season. Carter's Mountain Orchard (about 6 miles from my house) is the best place for pick-your-own peaches in the summer and apples in the fall. I can't wait to find some time this month to go peach pickin'.
And then I want to make this:


Peach and Blackberry Crumble


6 Servings

Ingredients*

  • 1 1/4 pounds peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced, or 1 (16 oz.) bag frozen peach slices, thawed
  • 2 (5.6 oz.) containers fresh blackberries, picked over
  • Finely grated peel of 1 lemon
  • 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup blanched, almonds, finely sliced, chopped or ground
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.

In a large bowl, combine peaches, blackberries, lemon peel, 1/3 cup sugar and cornstarch. Distribute evenly in baking dish.

In a medium bowl, mix together flour, almonds, salt and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle in an even layer over fruit.

Set baking dish onto a foil-lined baking sheet to catch any juice that might bubble over. Bake until golden and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.

*This recipe doesn't call for oatmeal, but I think I will add some; 100% rolled oats.

photos: Flickr (Harry Hunt), myrecipes.com
recipe: myrecipes.com

3 comments:

  1. I'll be glad to take any leftovers off your hands! That looks delicious. And I never thought about going peach picking. I must look into this as Georgia is the peach state and yet I've never come across a peach orchard. Strange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nkp --
    check this out!! have fun!
    http://www.pickyourown.org/GA.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will! Thanks for the link. Hope you have a lovely, festive, fun-filled Fourth!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...